Morville was one of the most important places in Shropshire before the Norman Conquest. The Saxons had created a vast Manor with 18 independent hamlets, including Bridgnorth which was of minor importance.
After the Norman Conquest, The Saxon Manor was split up and given to the Benedictine Abbey in Shrewsbury. The monks built the present church in 1118. They then enlarged the church and added the tower completing the work in 1168. To this day it remains predominately Norman and would be recognised by the monks as their place of worship.
The Priory was demolished in 1545 and much of the stone and timber was used to build Morville Hall and a number of local buildings including the Acton Arms public house.
Morville Church Today
Thanks to the successful fundraising over the past few years kitchen and toilet facilities have been installed in the church. In 2009, for the first time in 55 years the bells rang out from the bell tower. We were delighted not only to raise sufficient funds to repair the 18th century bells but were able to increase our bells from 6 to 8. The bells can be heard gently peeling on a regular basis, rung by our active group of bell ringers.